Welcome to the Parish Council Website
About Niton and Whitwell
Niton and Whitwell are vibrant villages on the southern tip of the Isle of Wight, little more than a mile apart and surrounded by stunning landscape and coastline. At the last census, in 2011, the population of Niton was 1,162, and of Whitwell 619.
A small community of fishermen – mostly for crab and lobsters – operates from Castlehaven, Niton.
Parts of the Undercliff are historically unstable, and there have been numerous landslides. The latest, in early 2014, severed the Niton-St Lawrence road.
Most facilities are in Niton, which has a good range of shops, a GPs’ surgery, a library, a recreation ground, a football club and a primary school. Each village has a Parish Church and a village hall, while Whitwell also has a petrol station.
The Parish Council
The Parish Council has 10 members – six for Niton Ward and four for Whitwell Ward.
Our current aims include:
- Reinstatement of Undercliff Drive
- Preserving transport options in the face of spending cuts;
- Identifying a suitable site in Whitwell for a children’s play area. We hold a bequest earmarked for this purpose;
- Establishing a safe and accessible pedestrian route between our villages;
- Helping Niton Football Club to secure its future;
- Acquiring the Town End car park in Niton as a parish asset;
- Making our voice heard when unsuitable development – including offshore – is proposed, and when planning enforcement is needed.